Valentine’s Day is going to the dogs! Did you know that one in five people buy Valentine’s Day gifts for their pets, and almost half admit they cuddle with their dog more than their partner! In the spirit of our Patron Saint, St. Francis of Assisi, how could we not highlight the love people are showing to their furry friends?
This Valentine’s Day, people are expected to spend $886 million on their animal companions according to the NFR (National Retail Federation). Many celebrate this special day of love by spoiling their pets with new treats, toys or long walks. A recent survey even found that one in four pet parents have pampered their pooch by buying them a massage, taking them out for a meal and even spending over $250 on a special gift for their furry friends. Oh my!
If you are looking for a few simpler ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your pet, here are some cute ideas as well as some do’s and don’ts…
- Do something your pet loves to do such a special trip to the dog park or going for a long walk. For a cat, simply join in on some playtime with a special toy.
- Give your pet a special treat. This can be something from a local pet bakery or a homemade batch of treats or biscuits.
- Get your pet a new special toy from your local pet store or online pet shopping destination.
- Have a pet playdate. Socialization is great for pets whether it’s at a friend’s house or local dog park.
- Have a professional photoshoot for you and your pet.
- Do be cautious to keep Valentine’s gifts, foods like chocolate, certain flowers, and alcoholic drinks away from your pet’s reach!
- Don’t forget that many pets appreciate the gift of time and cuddles more than anything!
- Don’t forget to share the love by visiting a local pet shelter or bring your furry companion with you to keep someone in need company.